Passionate Protectors Of Your Family And Your Future
Barbara J. Strauss
- Family Law
- Child Support
- Custody & Visitation
- Child Neglect
- Criminal Law
Attorney Barbara Strauss has maintained a private practice for over 15 years dedicated to advocating for men, and women coping with divorce, family law disputes or criminal charges. She represents clients in Orange, Sullivan, and Ulster Counties. In her 23 years as a lawyer first as a prosecutor for Orange County, New York, in the area of child and domestic abuse, and then in private practice Barbara Strauss has advocated for justice. At the Law Office of Barbara J. Strauss, she uses that passion to help clients face difficult problems in divorce, family law, and criminal defense.
Divorce and Family Law
Ms. Strauss seeks to resolve family law issues and divorce with dignity. She utilizes the collaborative law approach or negotiation whenever possible. When court proceedings are necessary, she approaches litigation with a thorough, and civilized style while at the same time zealously representing the interests of her client.
Ms. Strauss has developed a reputation for her in-depth knowledge of some of the more complicated issues facing a Family Law practitioner. She has litigated complex cases involving valuation of family owned corporations, interaction of divorce and bankruptcy, division of pension benefits and survival rights, distribution of stock options, tax consequences of divorce, and inter-state custody and support issues.
Barbara Strauss is also a court appointed law guardian representing children's interests in divorce, custody and child abuse matters. For over five years she has co-taught the Parents Apart teaching parents in the midst of custody disputes about the impact of litigation on children.
Richard Mandell, the former Orange County Support Magistrate, is of counsel to the firm. Mr. Mandell has received awards from the Orange County Bar Association and the Women's Bar Association for his work in developing innovative approaches to peaceful resolution of family conflict. He specializes in collaborative law and mediation.
Barbara Strauss was a Senior Assistant District Attorney in the Orange County District Attorney's office for eight years. She was in charge of the prosecution of child sex abuse cases and supervised the appellate litigation.
As a prosecutor and defense attorney Ms. Strauss has tried the gamut of criminal cases ranging from straight-forward driving while intoxicated matters, to A-1 felony drug prosecutions, child abuse, white collar fraud, rape, criminally negligent homicide and murder. She has also handled parole revocation hearings and probation violation proceedings.
This law firm is one of the few local matrimonial and criminal practices which has significant expertise in appellate litigation in addition to the trial level advocacy. Barbara Strauss has personally drafted and filed over one hundred and fifty appellate briefs and has argued cases in the Appellate Division, Second Department and Third Department and Court of Appeals as well as in Federal Court.
- New York University School of Law, New York, New York
- J.D. - 1979
- Wesleyan University, Middletown, CT
- B.A. - 1976
- Honors: cum laude
- Major: Psychology
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1993
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1993
- Pro Bono Award for Outstanding Contribution, Orange County Bar Association, 1994
- Special Recognition Award for Pro Bono Activities, Field of Family Law, American Bar Association, 1994
- Women of Achievement of Orange County Award, presented by the Sarah Wells Girl Scout Council and the YWCA of Orange County, 2004
- AVVO Top 1% Super Lawyers Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Legal Services – NYS Unified Court System 2013
Classes & Seminars
- Lecturer, Orange County Dispute Resolution Center, Parents Apart Program
- Benjamin Cardozo School of Law, Advocacy Program
- NBI Family Law CLE: Family Law from A-Z
- Practical Approach to Valuation Issues in Divorce Negotiation and Litigation: Valuation of Enhanced Earnings and Small Businesses
- NBI Advanced Family Law CLE: Changing Families and Children in the Courtroom
- Cardozo Law School Intensive Trial Advocacy Program: Trial Practice
- DRC, Parents Apart Class: Legal Issues for Parents Going Through Custody Litigation
- “A Friend’s House” Runaway and Homeless Youth Shelter Advisory Committee Board Member
- Orange County Bar Association Executive Committee
- Board Member, YWCA of Orange County
- Orange County Safe Homes
- Orange County Dispute Resolution Center
- Leadership Orange
- Goshen Central School District
- Former Member, Board of Directors, Goshen Chamber of Commerce and the Mental Health Association of Orange County
- Volunteer Mediator, Orange County Dispute Resolution Center, Parents Apart Program
- United States Department of Health & Human Services, New York Office, Assistant Regional Attorney, 1980 to 1982
- Orange County District Attorney's Office, Senior Assistant District Attorney, 1982 to 1989
- Orange County Bar Association, Current Treasurer
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law and Criminal Law Sections
- American Bar Association, Family Law Section
- Women's Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan County, President, 1993 to 1994
- Women's Bar Association of Orange and Sullivan County, Treasurer, 1983 to 1984
- Appellate Division Law Guardian Panel, Law Guardian
- Appellate Division, 2nd Dept, 9th and 10th Judicial District, Member, Grievence Committee
- Orange County Bar Association, Board of Directors 2003-2010
- Orange County Bar Association President 2010-2011
- Grievance Committee 2006-2014
- Lawyer for Children Panel, Appellate Division, 1990 to Present
- Judicial Screening Committee, Appellate Division, 2015